Simple. Local. Solar.
Founded in 2008 with a dual-mission to install solar and educate the next generation.
Every day our sun rises in the East and lathers our region of earth in free energy. For a while there – oh, say, 4.5 billion years, the Sun’s energy served only to heat our planet and make life here possible, but its rays were always capable of so much more, like powering toasters or Netflix marathons. Yes, in the past the animals were happy, and the daffodils delighted, but we weren’t tapping into our sun’s greatest potential.
Well, thanks to outrageous developments in solar technology, the sun’s energy is no longer lost and is now being harnessed to power daily life on earth – toasters, yes, and Netflix binges too, but also cars, entire homes, businesses, and whole manufacturing plants. In other words, our sun has evolved – from merely a giver of life to a slasher of energy bills and fresh hope for Mother Earth. The Sun is also a job creator, a major one, and the jobs it creates are building new prosperity for disadvantaged populations in our region. Very exciting stuff (we think).
Our future – the way Solar States envisions it – is more inclusive, sustainable, and affordable. Millions of green, rewarding jobs available to ALL populations – regardless of background or prior education. Energy bills slashed, or gone. A stable climate. The foundation for this future is being set right here in Philadelphia, in New Jersey, in Maryland and all across the world, by people just like YOU! Join us, and our local green-collar community, as we begin to unleash the ultimate potential of our one and mighty sun.
Best for the World 2019 Honoree
We’re a certified B-Corp and 2019 Best for the World Nominee with a triple-bottom-line of ‘People, Planet, Profit’. We treat our people fairly by providing full healthcare benefits, 401k plans, profit-sharing opportunities and the freedom to be themselves and build a brighter future regardless of background. We serve the planet by providing energy spenders an alternative to fossil fuels and monthly electric bills, and by making solar accessible to ALL in our region, including low-moderate income earners. Finally, we profit, by being efficient, minding the details, and growing through referrals and 5-star reputation. Our approach is made possible by our long-term partners seen below:
Panels are set on a residential rooftop in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. All Solar States installations are backed by our 10-year Workmanship Guarantee.
How much will your solar project cost in 2021?
We can handle ANY solar project: flat rooftop, ground mount, battery backups, carport – ANY!
What determines the cost of a solar project?
The size of your rooftop and the amount of electricity you spend. Once we survey your roof, we can provide suggestions and pricing on racking, panels, inverters, and possibly a battery system.
How will we provide a quote?
We’ll send you a PDF via e-mail and assign a solar designer to your project. The solar designer will handle all of the nuts and bolts of your project moving forward.
(above) Our drone’s view of a solar open house in Philadelphia. Property owners with solar can continue to drive the movement forward by inviting neighbors and friends to inspect the system and ask whatever’s on their mind. Our customers are the true leaders of our region’s green energy revolution (in our eyes), and open houses like the one above are just more proof of it.
Our own Yoooo Sun!!! Podcast
Conversations in Solar and Green Economy
Considering going Solar? Want to learn more about the urgency of the Green Economy? Join in our conversation as we talk with industry leaders around the country and discuss everything from Solar 101 to how solar can benefit education and community organization to solar policies and tax credits and overall building a sustainable economy, together. The show is hosted by Solar States’ founder Micah-Gold Markel (below, right) and Energy Consultant Jared Paschko (left). Listen to all ~30-minute episodes here.
What are SRECs?
What is Net Metering?
What is the Tax Credit?
Investment Tax Credit
stay tuned via newsletter…
A bit about us…
Solar States is a certified B-Corporation founded in 2008 based on the ideas found in Van Jones’ book, “The Green Collar Economy”. We are the on ramp for inner city residents looking to find jobs in the solar industry. As a result of our founding ethos we have a dual mission to install solar and educate the next generation of solar installers. We have developed over 700 solar projects and established ongoing educational partnerships with the School District of Philadelphia, the Philadelphia Energy Authority, and others. More about us here.
- We came back stronger from the springtime COVID shutdown, growing our employee count from 28 on Jan. 1 to 32 (+2 interns) today.
- We started a 401K plan for employees and saved over $100,000 in our first year.
- While respecting new safety restrictions and avoiding a single case of COVID-19, we installed more projects this year than last.
- Due to our growth in installations and profit-sharing program, we were able to reward employees with larger bonuses this year than any year prior.
- We hosted our free education programs online and hired more through these programs than ever before. A big “welcome!” to Aquill, Jonah, Cleo, Ta’Sean, and Domingo.
- Our designers upgraded in-house drone and 3D technologies to continue to provide best-in-class service to future customers.
- We started a podcast to tell the story of our region’s developing solar industry and published thirteen episodes.
- Through the PEA’s Solar Savings Grant Program, we were able help nearly 40 low-income residents go solar.
- We were for a fourth time selected as the City of Philadelphia’s preferred solar installer for the Solarize Philadelphia program, which generated contracts for dozens of new installations in the city.
- We completed our largest installation to date. Our team and partners for this project were recognized by Governor Tom Wolf.